Monday 5 July 2021

Renovating Redskins .


Like an number of my fellow bloggers I'm busy renovating old hollow cast 54mm figures , these are some Britains (?) Red Indians . When I stripped the rather grungy paint job I found that they have had their rifles repaired using matchsticks , unfortunately several came off in the cleaning process and I've been busy whittling matchsticks and gluing them onto the figures . Here's the first batch taking cover behind the Malted Milk biscuits .


I've also started adding feathers to the standing warriors , in front some Indians from a different purchase , one of which refused to shed it's paint ! . Next to glue them to bases and give them a undercoat . I will report back on progress ......





 

12 comments:

  1. You've got excellent whittling skills Tony, those rifles and feathers look great! That's a really nice batch of figures you have there, I can't wait to see them painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit fiddly, but getting them undercoated now.

      Delete
  2. Great work, did you use paper for feathers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I drilled a small hole in the back of the head , glued a piece of cocktail stick into it and whittled it down to size .

      Delete
  3. Some familiar friends there. Is it just my eyes or are there a couple with shaved heads?

    Anyway, I don't have a source for wild west toy indians, apparently most book writing collectors don't consider cowboys and Indians to be toy soldiers although arabs and zulus are, but I think some of these may be Crescent and some Britain's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Cowboys and Indians are not as popular on eBay and a lot cheaper usually .

      Delete
  4. Looking forward Tony to the finished figures in gloss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see these given your glossy treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reno. I am amazed how good those matchsticks look as musket barrels. That is inspired.
    You'd better keep an eye on them. They seem really keen on your biccies.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the cocktail stick/matchstick is essential for repairs . Malted milk biscuits are used as trade goods I think .

      Delete