Saturday 10 July 2021

A photographic aside .


Been painting up mainly 54mm Red Indians this week but in between I finished of this figure and camera , I'm not sure of the manufacturer but it portrays the American Mathew Brady famous for his ACW photography (I would argue Alexander Gardener was more relevant and a better one - but don't get me going off on that hobby-horse !)


Whilst doing my research about the English Civil War in Borsetshire I visited the University of Felpersham and was lucky enough to be able to view some of the almost unknown collection of Brady's photos of rural Borsetshire life , although doing the maths I believe they are the work of his son Mathew Brady Jr . as they portray life many years after the 1860's .


A photo of the photographer at work somewhere in Borsetshire , unfortunately Brady Jr got into trouble with the police as he started producing a series of ,shall we say 'risque' portraits of young ladies in states of dishabille in rural settings which he claimed ti be 'Art' - the Borchester Courts thought different and he left for Paris where he claimed his genre would be appreciated . I was also lucky enough to see his series of photos of 'The Great Patio War' which I believe have generally not been seen before . 

P.S there is an argument that some of the photos in the Almark book 'With the Guns to The Patio' should be credited to Brady Jr . - but there's another can of worms ! 









 

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting information Tony with wonderful pictures! I especially like the two period photos, although I was shocked at how much ankle that young lass was displaying, scandalous! Thank you for a very enjoyable posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, a fun addition, and works best in these larger scales.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the personality figures really stand out in 54mm .

      Delete
  3. Could be an old Sarum Soldiers model, or perhaps Tradition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did look at the Tradition site but couldn't find one that looked the same , but could be Sarum .

      Delete