Wednesday 28 February 2018

Next Up For Painting .

Inspired by my successful painting of my R.H.A. I decided to paint up a British Line Battalion whilst on a Crimean war roll . I was fortunate enough to be sent a large bag of plastic figures by fellow blogger Conrad Kinch , so sorting through these I found the required figures and most of then cleaned up already by the said Mr Kinch ! - Huzza ! that man ! .

I have just taken them outside to spray a black undercoat - as you can see we have snow and Arctic blasts so this is probably the most unsuitable time to do it - we will see what happens ?!

Friday 23 February 2018

Crimean Royal Horse Artillery .

I've finally got the plastic 1/72nd R.H.A. finished and based up , I glued the guns down to the bases to prevent damage . I then gave them a good coat of high gloss yacht varnish and when dry a couple of coats of matt varnish .

Rather pleased how these have turned out as I thought I was going to have to resort to metal figures to get the British some firepower for their cavalry . I know need to thing about another cavalry unit and line infantry for the Allied forces .

Monday 19 February 2018

Strange Searches On Google .

One of the interesting things about our hobby is the strange subjects and paths of enquiry it leads us down , so it was I found myself looking at pictures of Japanese kimonos to paint up a female figure for my 'Test Of Honour' Samurai project. The one thing that struck me was how bloody complicated they are both in pattern and design with lots of complicated folds and pleats , needless to say I chose a simple one to paint onto my figure . It took two attempts to get it half right, the problem is the designs disappear into the folds and  getting the general layout of the flowers on the dress to look right was hard work . Japanese Geisha's also painted their faces white (another Google search) and sort of drew their eyebrows, lips etc. onto this background . I'm glad I've got it done and equally glad I haven't a unit of them to do ! . Starting painting Royal Horse Artillery for the Crimea an altogether simpler subject next . 

Tuesday 13 February 2018

R.H.A. Head Swaps Complete ! .

Well nursing my sore finger I have completed the swapping of heads to complete my British Crimean War Royal Horse Artillery , here we have a gun and crew about to fire. I used 'green stuff' to provide collars (to hide evidence of surgery) and add water bottles and knapsacks .

This gun is being loaded by it's crew . The alternative heads seem to match well so I'm pleased with these conversions . When the 'green stuff' is set I will spray them with black undercoat and hopefully get them painted later in the week .

Monday 12 February 2018

The Quest For Royal Horse Artillery .

I have been considering adding a Battery of R.H.A. to my Allied force but have been unable to find a suitable plastic set of figures , I thought I would have to go with metal - then I realised that the Napoleonic R.H.A. uniform was similar but would need a head swap to busbies . I got the above Airfix R.H.A. set off EBay which comes with a couple of guns and a limber .

They have a lot of flash and mould lines but otherwise are nice figures , the guns are a bit chunky but will do . I fitted a brand new scalpel blade especially to clean these up ---

and stabbed myself in the finger end !!!!! , I will draw a veil over the language which was disgraceful !.

Having made the blood sacrifice to the gods of gaming I started decapitating the British figures and these are the head donors - Italeri French Napoleonic Guard Artillery with the required busbies . I am waiting till the finger stops bleeding before the delicate job of head swapping ........

Saturday 10 February 2018

Sunday 4 February 2018

The Body Beautiful.

The more astute readers may have noticed this appearing on my blog and thought - "he's finally cracked".

A ex work colleague  mentioned this challenge to me over Christmas - and of course I mocked him - my default setting when exercise is mentioned , he had done it in 2017 and he thought I should do it - I mocked further ! and then thought - hang on ! - that's only about 3 miles a day - I do that walking the dog ! . I accepted the challenge and borrowed a pedometer , which proved to complicated for my techno challenged brain , so I ordered my own simpler version . This meant I have started a month late so I have to walk on average 3 miles a day - not very far - but It's each and every day and I'm not wearing the pedometer whilst I'm in the house or walking around to the shop , only when I'm actually walking he dog . The main thing is  - I GET TO WEAR A BADGE !  . I will up date my millage every week or so and we will see how I do ! .