Tuesday 3 October 2017

First Fruits 1897.


Been painting for 'A's 1897 project , he has decided on a 'Toy Soldier' look , so they are being mounted on pennies and given a coat of high gloss varnish . Here we see members of the Furness Railway Volunteers (F.RV.)  patrolling a stretch of the main line to Barrow in Furness as there have been reports of unusual Naval activity in Morecambe Bay and the railway line is a major link to the important dockyards there.


Here is a small scouting force from the German Navy who have secretly landed from an experimental submersible near the small hamlet of Flookburgh . 


The Germans are photographed by a young Arthur Ransome on holiday with his family using his newly acquired 'Box Browning' - he had to flee the scene as he was chased by the sailors . These photos were taken using my wife's my super-duper camera as my camera battery was flat and I'm unfamiliar with it so they might be a bit poor  . (click on the photos to enlarge)  More photos to follow and in due course a game ......



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes I have been sticking to a dedicated painting schedule

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you , the Irregular figures are great to paint .

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to the battle of Morecambe Bay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to young Arthur for the photographic recording.
    My sir, you are a fast painter indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bit of a fuzzy photo but he was being chased at the time , retirement helps painting (sadly housework is being neglected).

      Delete
  5. Oooh shiny....looking splendid so far. My old Dad used to travel up to Barrow all the time with his job with the Admiralty, and my Mum grew up in Morecambe during the late 30's, so I look forward to seeing activity based there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Barrow was a far more important place than it is now and sadly Morecambe's glory has faded in my lifetime.

      Delete