Wednesday 5 April 2023

As rare as hens teeth.


We have been on holiday ! , rented a cottage near Newton Stewart in Galloway . Whilst We where walking around Newton Stewart I  came across the 'Hobby Burrow' ! - a modeling/wargaming shop ! - I was surprised they are a rare breed nowadays . 


I would call it gaming shop really, it covered everything from 'Magic the Gathering' cards through board games via Games Workshop to an impressive stock of Warlord boxed figures. 


I had a long chat with the chap that owns it , very interesting about the problems running a business in the present times .


And what did I buy ! ? well you can't go into a gaming shop and not buy anything ! 


An impulse buy ! (more of this later) 











 

14 comments:

  1. How fortunate you are Tony, to be on holiday and to find a gaming shop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't go wrong with a hobby shop when on holiday!! Interested to see what you do with your purchase. Nice part of the world to holiday in as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Dumfries and Galloway, the weather was not to bad and the gaming shop was a definite plus.

      Delete
  3. What a pleasant discovery! A holiday destination worthy of return visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I haven't visited an independent hobby shop in years.

      Delete
  4. Newton Stewart isnt a huge population centre, so I can imagine its a bit of a struggle for the owner - a labour of love for him, I assume. I am living in a city of 1.5m people, and we would be lucky if there are a dozen hobby/model shops in total here. Fortunately for me, one of them is about a minutes drive from where I work, although its mostly stuff I am not interested in - but it does have paints and basing materials I can use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it must be an uphill struggle , think he owns the building which must help.

      Delete
  5. A good find for you Tony whilst on holidays- we have a Games Workshop here, also a dedicated Wargames Shop named 'Hall of Heros' and two Hobby Shops...I mainly purchase paints- Citadel, Vallejo acrylics. Cheers. KEv.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is indeed a rare find! Especially as it does not appear to be a chain hobby store.

    ReplyDelete