Sunday 22 January 2023

Another year, another project.


I have recently sold off one of my lesser used collections of figures and having cash burning a hole in my pocket I caste my eyes around for something to spend it on. I've had this book for quite a while and it includes a very playable set of rules in it.  I've never amassed any ECW armies in 28mm having been put off by the thought of painting up two armies - enter the 2D Wofun plexiglass figures !.


I ordered their starter set in 28mm - here is a Royalist Regiment of Foote, 48 figures on 6 bases. I have filled the gaps in the bases with brown 'milliput' and painted the edges of the figures with brown ink to cut down the shine.


King Charles I , the chap that caused all the trouble.


A Troope of Horse .


A gunne and crew. The gun is mdf and a bit fiddly to put together .


The down side of 2D figures , but the plus side is that I had them unboxed based up and on the tabletop the following day .- instant wargaming ! . 


A rather nice command group, I've added tufts of foliage to the various bases . I realise that these flat figures are not every bodies cup of tea, but the idea of getting figures onto the tabletop and start playing games is a great selling point for me.













 

14 comments:

  1. Excellent! I have a buddy who has many of the Wofun armies. Not being much of a figure painter, he loves 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like painting figures but the thought of having to spend over six month painting them up is a bit daunting . Not to everyone's liking but they are being played with at the moment- instant gaming!

      Delete
    2. Instant armies and instant gaming, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Your basing certainly gives the units a real lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you have to do something with the bases I think.

      Delete
  3. They look great Tony and got you into a game very quickly! Your little touches with the paint and basing materials really finish everything off perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I painted the tips of the pikes silver and the tops of the flags to help the illusion as well.

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of Wofun figures, great way of doing a period you would never do in metal or getting into a period as a starting block. The way you have done the bases etc, really adds to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ,I don't think In would have started the ECW in 28mm otherwise.

      Delete
  5. I'm not sure I would ever be tempted by them but I can understand the attraction of being able to unbox two armies and have them ready to play a game 24 hours later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are not everyone's cup of tea , but they are a quick and easy way into a period I don't want to paint.

      Delete
  6. Been very tempted by Wofan myself. If I ever do take the plunge into another era (SYW is what I was thinking), it will be with these. The side-on view is a negative, but that would mainly be an issue for an observer rather than the player, I'm thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play with semi-flat and flats anyway so I'm not bothered by the 2D issue . Wofun do a very good mail order service (aim for 5 day turn around of orders) , I would caution that you keep any orders under £100 so not to incur import duty..

      Delete