Sunday 15 January 2023

A bit of self indulgence

 



I don't normally display my figures about the house and usually think it wiser to confine them to my wargaming room to benefit marital bliss. However just before Christmas I came across this set of figures depicting road workers and having spent 40 odd years on the roads I thought I must have it. When I started on the 'Roads and Bridges' dept of Westmoreland County Council in 1970 I found myself amongst a group of men who were all characters (are characters a think of the past ?) and a good percentage of them being foreign,  Polish,  Ukrainian,  German and Italian,  either misplaced persons or ex prisoners of war who had settled here after the war ended. All sadly gone now , a bye product of my association with them is a smattering of graphic foreign swear words! . I'm pleased to say my small vignette has found a place of honour on the shelves in the conservatory-so technically not in the house.

12 comments:

  1. A whimsical and trenchant post. My early working days (in the same era) were spent among workmen as well, they also being of many nationalities and accents, some of which I still find myself slipping into. All were of modest backgrounds, but most had seen and lived very much: each was a "character" of the sort that we no longer seem to have in the world today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I believe 'characters' seem to be replaced with a certain overall blandness, or is it me just getting old ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to remember former colleagues

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are lovely, a really nice little set, you are right about "characters" they are an extinct breed and that is a great shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a nice set - I have no idea who makes them though.

      Delete
  5. It's great that you found a figure set that holds such personal significance for you Tony! The memories that they evoke are priceless and I'm glad that they have a very special place in your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm pleased with them , they are very unusual .

      Delete
  6. A good little display. Remembering those who have been a positive part of our life should be remembered.

    I like to have at least 1 small shelf outside of my room to display a few figures on, preferably in a peacetime setting and of some relevance to my life. At the moment it's mostly a pipe and a mini Highland Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife is very tolerant about my hobby I think and these are a colourful little group.

      Delete