Sunday 24 April 2022

Tittivating the figures .


Having based up my 2D Wofun Pennisular collection I have started adding textured bases and shading in the edges of the plexiglass figures .


I coated the bases in glue and sprinkled some very fine sand on it . When dry I washed it with GW shade ink and them dry brushed it with a very pale grey , I added some spots of white glue  and sprinkled static grass onto it .I then shaded the edges of the figures with the appropriate coloured paint - not to accurate but more of a suggestion of colour . - they look a bit odd viewed side on but at a wargaming distance look okay .


Here we have the French 1st Battalion of the 50th Ligne with two bases of mounted command . This is going to be quite a task getting them all done , but I will be doing a few bases at a time . If you click on the photos will enlarge .





 

18 comments:

  1. Painting the edges really lifts them IMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a bit fiddly but at a wargaming distance ( arms length) they look like ordinary 18mm 3D figures on the tabletop .

      Delete
  2. They look great en masse Tony! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they provide a quick entry point to a period I wouldn't have wanted to paint loads of figures for .

      Delete
  3. I see some people have painted the edges in black but I think using the appropriate colour gives a better effect.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have inked some of the edges with a brown wash , but touching up with paint gives a better effect I think .

      Delete
  4. Very nice indeed - I played an ECW game using their (or similar) figures one club night - they do look the business.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I would ever be tempted by these 2d figures but putting a bit of effort into the basing certainly makes them more attractive...as is the case with more conventional figures of course! Painting all the edges would probably be a tedious task, but still a fraction of the effort of painting hundreds of metal 18mm figures, so as you say, a good way to get into a new pariod quickly and with minimal effort. Neil over at Toy Soldiers and Dining Room Battles is on a similar journey at the moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are a bit like Marmite not to everyone's taste . But I didn't fancy painting hundreds of 18mm Napoleonics .

      Delete
  6. A very nice looking unit for the tabletop. The basing certainly helps the look of the unit and gives them a lift. I do like the Paper Soldiers and Wufun collections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the basing helps , don't think I'm skilled enough to cut out the paper soldiers .

      Delete
  7. Wofun figures are very tempting, I may try a small purchase to test the water and I will certainly follow your lead on doing the edges, very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a convert I must admit , their starter boxes are a good way to start - two armies in a box .

      Delete
  8. Fantastic work on these figures, I shade the edges on my Wofun figures.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it helps a lot to cut down the white glare of the edging .

      Delete