Thursday 18 November 2021

Flats for the 21st Century .


My wargaming colleague 'A' has been expounding the virtues of the new plexi-glass 2D ready painted figures by the Romanian firm  Wofun  (WoFun Games (wofun-games.com) , so as an own Christmas present to myself I bought the 18mm Peninsula War starter box - it arrived very promptly in about ten days via DHL . I'm VERY impressed - I based up the box onto the bases that where included in my deal - tarted them up a bit and next day was playing a game with them .


One tip I found from other bloggers was paint the edges of the figures with a brown ink (GW Agrax Earthshade ?) which cuts down on the glare ., I also gave them a coat of  matt varnish . The British Line Regiments are six bases each of two strips giving a total of eight figures per base (48 to the Battalion).


One of the individual bases , the art work is by Peter Dennis and was originally from his 'Paper Soldiers' book .


The French Dragoon Regiment (click on photos to enlarge)


British skirmish bases , I see these as the modern equivalent of the old German flats , being ready painted means you can get them onto the table top almost immediately and let's face it my days of paint lots of small scale figures are well past .


Another nice touch is when you place your order they send you a link to a downloadable set of rules by Andy Callan - simple but effective . Will do a battle report using the figures that where in the box next blog .





 











 

12 comments:

  1. Nice! Painting the edges cuts down on the silhouette glare a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are startlingly good. I can't say I particularly enjoy the sensation they give me of being utterly obselescent though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'flats' are not to everyone's tastes , but having painted thousands of figures over the last 50 years - the lure of quick ready painted figures is a novelty I enjoy.

      Delete
  3. "Everything old is new again!" They look great Tony! I'm sure that you will get a lot of pleasure out of them without all the work that usually goes along with new armies! Open and enjoy, it sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very clever system, I can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea, but I'm rather taken with them.

      Delete
  4. Damn you sir… 😱
    You almost had me (and my butterfly) there…I went to the website.
    I think the 18mil is more appealing.. to me anyway.
    But no not yet and not at the moment… 7years War though 😳🙄🤪😂

    All the best. Aly(and his butterfly)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like the 18mm better as well , the new SYW is VERY nice isn't it !

      Delete
  5. I think they work a treat and 18mm is definitely the way to go. If you check my Scotia Albion blog I refought Maida recently using the rules and the flats a most enjoyable game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I must admit your game was one that pushed me over the edge . The rules although simple give a fun game .

      Delete
  6. Fantastic post, I bought a couple of thousand of Wofun WSS miniatures, all I did was ink wash the edges and fill in the bases with a green mix and hey presto I had a couple of WSS armies. These figures are defiantly a way into a different period.
    On The Wargame Website I posted my journey with 18mm Wofun flats.
    https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/war-of-the-spanish-successin-18mm-wofun-games/

    Keep up the great blogging and happy gaming,
    Willz Harley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link will have a look , they are a quick entry point to a period I wouldn't have wanted to paint for .

      Delete