Thursday 4 November 2021

A tribute to H.G. Wells


I've just started reading this book* on my Kindle device , rather good I'm finding it as well . I've never read a biography of the great man, having seen various reviews of the existing ones which don't seem too impressive . I inadvertently read Claire Tomalin's biography of Jane Austen  .: Off piste reading (tonystoysoldiers.blogspot.com) and was impressed - it being a subject I'd not usually read , so I thought I'd try this new one on H.G. 


So in this Wellsian frame of mind I decided to set up a small game using my 54mm figures in his honour .


Both sides will have four units of infantry , a gun and crew and a cavalry unit . Here we see the 'Blue Army' commander General Mouters , I will be using 'A Gentleman's War' rules for this engagement hence the coin unit markers and hand of command cards .


The 'Red Army' commander General Crawley oversees his troops deployment . I diced for points of entry using the Featherstone method (1- Left flank , 2 - Left centre, 3 - Centre , 4 - Right centre , 5 - Right flank , 6 - come on as reinforcement ) 'Red Army' has got most of its units on table with only one in reserve , 'Blue Army' rolled two '6's so has two off table .


The patent 'AGW Turn Counter Device' is deployed and the games afoot !

* will his playing with toy soldiers be mentioned or relegated to an embarrassing foot note - or not mentioned at all ? 









 

16 comments:

  1. Tony, I like the layout. I'm just working on a Royal Marine battalion in blue tunics, twelve figures. Looking forward to further reports on your game.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must admit I have no Marines - something for the future .

      Delete
  2. I read a review of the book this weekend and it would seem according to this writer that HG couldnt keep it in his pants, but there is still so much to like about the man that I cant help not admiring him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Successful, intelligent, a hit with the ladies 😈 and he played with toy soldiers…
      What’s not to like about the man 😂

      Delete
    2. Very true ! - the ladies aren't as impressed with toy soldiers as they where - my wife refers to them as - 'my little men'

      Delete
  3. An interesting looking book Tony…
    And a nice table of toy soldiers…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great game and l am glad you are enjoying the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , yes the book is very interesting , I didn't know about his recurring health issues and his struggles in early life .

      Delete
  5. Very nicely set out Games Table TONY- very Wellsian too- Old School - just the ticket! Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful tribute game Tony, it all looks wonderful! Thank you for bringing this book to my attention, it sounds very interesting and well worth a read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've somehow missed all your recent posts. I must check that book out, and the one on Jane Austen. As always the game looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete