Wednesday 30 June 2021

Redskins .


The other week my wife who was looking for knitting related items on eBay said - "there's somebody selling toy soldiers here" ! . I had a look at the dealer and as well as the aforesaid knitting items , a collection of old plastic phones (?) and other bric a brac there where 16 Britains 54mm Red Indians !? - going rather cheaply - so I made an offer and duly received them . To boost their number to 20 I bought a few more and dumped the whole lot into bleach to strip the paint off .


This removed the rather grungy paint from the original figures and revealed that their rifles had been repaired using match sticks (?)  . However several of the others where painted in a metallic copper colour for their flesh - this has withstood multiple immersions in bleach/paint stripper - I hate to think of the toxicity of this pain job - they must  have use similar to paint the bottom of warships or the coating of the inside of nuclear plants , so it's going to have to stay and I've decided to paint the flesh of the others in a copper metallic Vallejo acrylic to match . Further updates when the painting starts .



 

8 comments:

  1. Glad you gave these a good home. I sometimes feel that no one is interested in these vintage cowboys and Indians. I like these figures and I have similar which l really enjoy gaming with after repairs. Vintage Britains metal cowboys are full of character too. I use them as irregulars in my Maple Leaf Country games on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be using them as 'native' auxiliaries fro my AGM armies , must look at the Cowboys too .

      Delete
  2. Very nice pieces Tony! You never know what you will find until you strip them down to the metal. It could be copper radiator paint that is giving you a tough time. I do like that copper metallic paint color for "native" toy soldiers, it looks great on the wargame table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your right it could be radiator/heater paint , I will be interested to see how the 'copper' skin idea works out .

      Delete
  3. A fun project at a fair price, sounds good! I got a real satisfaction restoring these old toy soldiers which I never had with my 28mm collection.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think being hollow helps as well sticking things to them and repairing something that is at least 50+ years old .

      Delete
  4. Cowboys and Injuns are surprisingly affordable still as a battered joblot.
    I too went with the shiny copper body paint, it somehow works with toy soldier Injuns.
    https://manoftinblog.wordpress.com/2018/06/20/american-indians-first-nations-or-imagi-nations/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they seem not to be as popular as toy soldiers .

      Delete