Saturday 1 May 2021

A thing of purpose.

 I play a lot of A Gentleman's War and part of the rules is when a Joker card is drawn it can trigger events or perhaps reinforcements , these are pre-programed into the game and I usually scribble the sequence onto a piece of paper - which I then mislay . I needed a better way of recording this .....



I came across this piece of sawn MDF - NOT sawn by me - I'm genetically unable to cut wood to a required size ( I suspect it may have been provided by my friend 'S' who can do this sort of thing accurately and it's original purpose is long forgotten). In a moment of serendipity I thought I could use it to make a device to solve my AGW problem .


Behold the 'A Gentleman's War Game Turn Recording Device' (AGWGTRD) . I laminated the above and stuck it onto the MDF . I can now record the game sequence onto it using 'dry-wipe' pens , so we see when the first Joker is drawn - nothing happens , however on second an event card is drawn - and so on , I usually play a game till the sixth Joker is drawn to end the battle .


Here we see the 'AGWGTRD' in action on the tabletop recording the course of the conflict .








10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you , it's better than the scraps of paper I was using .

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I do have these flashes of inspiration - but not very often : )

      Delete
  3. They may not be old school but gadgets like this can be very handy.
    (....especially if one remembers to use them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have it placed prominently placed on the table to nudge my memory .

      Delete
  4. True ingenuity Tony, a great idea! I especially like the illustration of the young lad with that massive cannon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An old "skool" play aid for a retro sort of game. Nice.

    ReplyDelete