Thursday 1 April 2021

Mustering the Troops .


The blame for this project must be laid squarely at the door of  'Vauban and Shandy' blog Vauban and Shandy - Flanders Garden Wargaming (shandyandvauban.blogspot.com) for getting my juices flowing for large scale ECW wargaming .


The figures are 54mm by 'A Call to Arms', here being cleaned up and glued temporarily to card for undercoating and painting . Pleasingly they are in suitable restrained postures (well with a couple of exceptions ) suitable for gaming .


I was lucky enough to get a deal from an 'on line' Model shop and got one of each of their boxes , they do a Command , Pikemen , Artillery crew , Field Gun , 2 boxes of Musketeers and 2 Cavalry  . I've also ordered some more odds and sods from Ebay to bolster my forces .


The next question was - which rules !? , I have decided on 'The Pikeman's Lament' it is designed for small actions/skirmishes which will be the main tabletop games portrayed in Borsetshire . It is based on the successful 'Lion Rampant' system which I have played a lot and like , they also have 10 scenarios which is very useful .


I also have a few Irregular 54mm which match very well with the plastics and I will probably use as personalities  - here we see Sir Brianne Aldridge talking to his game keeper Thomas Forreste . I hope to get a couple of small forces sorted out and try the rules out soon .  









 

10 comments:

  1. Oddly I have a box with the remaining unpainted recruits from an abandoned 16thC Irish venture. Pay the postage and they're yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the offer , however I think as mercenaries their cost would outweigh their use : )

      Delete
  2. Great figures and loads of fun ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh... are these going to be shiny toy soldiers, or gritty grubby fellows? The guy charging waving his sword was always my least favourite...but chopped about he makes a good casualty figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toy Soldier glossy finish for these , Yes that chap and the drinking pikeman are a bit duff but the rest are okay .

      Delete
  4. Those do look nice - God save the King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes for large scale plastics they are very good indeed .

      Delete
  5. The Irregular figures really do match well with the ACTA pieces. They will make excellent personality figures. Gloss is the right choice, I look forward to seeing them finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think the larger scale figures look best high gloss toy soldier look .

      Delete