Thursday 4 February 2021

Death's Head Hussars .


I've been busy casting the last couple of weeks and have managed to cast up and paint a unit of Hussars for my 'Blue Army' . The molds are of course by Prince August in 54mm 


It has been a bit fiddly as each figure is made up of a two pieces horse , a base , two bits of saddlery , the riders body , arms , carbine , sabretache and scabbard . Times this by six figures and it has taken quite a while to get all the bits cast up correctly and glue then all together .


Luckily I had a lot of scrap figures (donated by 'B') as they have taken a lot of metal to get them cast - they weigh a ton - the horse being solid . I painted them using late 19th century Prussian Hussar uniforms as a guide and will join the Uhlans in the Cavalry arm of 'Blue Army' .





 

20 comments:

  1. Well worth the time and effort to cast,assemble, and paint. Really lovely figures there!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, fiddly and time consuming, but look what you have ended up with, a very collectable addition to your blue army. I'm well impressed.
      Michael

      Delete
    2. There were times in the process that I despaired , but pleased with them now .

      Delete
    3. Shortage of suitable models for 'Blue Army' prompted me to cast these up .

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you , I enjoyed doing them - now they are done !.

      Delete
  3. The Hussars come up rather splendidly Tony- well done there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks ,I'll be interested how they perform on the table top

      Delete
  5. Striking: well done--an iconic unit to have in any 19th Century imaginations force!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous Hussars Tony! Your painting skills are excellent!
    Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , a coat of gloss varnish covers a multitude of sins .

      Delete
  7. What a stunning unit, I really look forward to seeing them in action!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, PA 54mm cavalry, I did a few of the Mamlukes 20 odd years ago, they looked great but they do take a lot of metal. I confess I cheated and started using plastic horses for them!

    Anyway, these fellows look great. Now to see if they can fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes plastic horses would be the answer I think - luckily I had a good store of old figures to melt down .

      Delete
  9. Beautifully, beautifully done. They are certainly 'gorgeous', 'crisp and clean' and 'stunning' as others have already commented.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , it was casting all the little bits that took the time .

      Delete