Monday 2 November 2020

Casting triumphs and failures .


Spent a few hours casting up some extra figures for my 54mm collections - thanks to 'B' my wargaming  colleague for providing the old figures to be melted down - think these are Heroic & Ros FPW (?) .


Some of my 54mm Prince August molds are rather worn and need that bit of extra clamping to stop the metal running .


Here are the fruits of my casting , I've had to use a bit of 'green stuff' to get the arms to fit and repair a miss-cast rifle . These molds are some of Prince August's oldest molds and perhaps  showing their age compared to their newer ones . I've added Irregular Picklehaube heads to turn them into Prussian/German/Black Army .


Flushed with success I thought I would try and cast from this ancient mold I once got years ago from a junk/antique shop - I have NEVER managed to get a casting from this mold - and failed again today ! . Think I need to add some channels to the horses feet and riders head to help the flow of metal , also I think the mold has to be heated up to a high temperature to get the metal to run before it cools . Being solid it will take quite a bit of metal per casting but if I can get figures from it I could do head swaps and it would be very useful - watch this space for further developments .





 

 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Tony- Your Prince August figures with Prussian Head swaps come up excellently well. When I was doing Casting I used a 'LEE-Pro' electric melting pot- saves a lot of mucking around and is a breeze to work with- no mess and safe - the Pots can be obtained from Gunsmith Shops - it is an American Machine. Well worth the price. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've seen the melting pot - must start saving up my pennies .

      Delete
    2. I have one of those bottom-pout pots from Lee. It melts a lot of metal, but I have to say that the spout is a little prone to jamming, and I have had issues that I think are caused by the pour rate being slow enough that the metal doesn’t fill the extremities of the mold cavity beofre solidifying. I switch over to a Palmer heated metal ladle this past summer, and felt that the results were generally better. I still need the Lee, though for reducing large bars to smaller ingots.

      Delete
    3. Must admit I've had no dealings with them .

      Delete
    4. Clear the spout of the melting pot with an 'L' shaped piece of Piano Wire.

      Delete
  2. Teutonic chaps look splendid. Look forward to seeing them in all their glossy glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy painting them now - the weather is lousy so keeping me indoors .

      Delete
  3. The prussian chaps look great; the cavalry mould looks like it will need a lot of air vents/reservoirs - good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes being a heavy metal I am a bit cautious in cutting vents in it .

      Delete
  4. It must take a lot of those Heroics & Ros figures to make one of those 54mm chaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of 15mm as well as other bits and pieces .

      Delete
  5. A most productive 'few hours'; beaut stuff.
    The horse and rider are so close. It does not look as though it will take much refurbishment of the mould?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I'm not heating the mold enough to get the metal to flow through it before setting .

      Delete