Thursday 27 August 2020

Return of 'The Thousand' .


Been looking through some of my old posts and realised it was over twelve months since I had any of my Italian Wars of Independence on the tabletop and thought it was time to get them out again . Here we see Garibaldi reviewing his volunteers as they march to reconquer Sicily . 


The column is proceeded by a skirmish screen of the local 'piccolotti' , a fine mix of old Hinchliffe and Foundry figures .


The opposition , a brigade of Neapolitan's , Irregular 28mm figures .


The Neapolitan commander - only a command strength of 6 - not a brilliant tactician . I use 'Black Powder' rules for this period and am having to give them a quick once over to remind myself how they work as it's a while since I used them . 


A overall view of the action with Garibaldi's force nearest the camera and the Neapolitans drawn up in the fields around the cross roads . I'll report the result of the battle in my next blog post .







14 comments:

  1. Nice pictures Tony - enjoy the game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , just reading through the rules to familiarise myself with them again .

      Delete
  2. Looks good fun, and the trees and buildings look nicely Italian. I have hardly ever seen a Garibaldi game - G.M. Trevelyan's accounts of his campaigns are inspiring, I'm surprised they are not gamed more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a cracking read , have all three of his volumes on Garibaldi

      Delete
  3. Got me wanting to sing “Italiaaaa Italiaaa”!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking set up..very Italian looking terrain, and tip top figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Good to get the figures back on the table .

      Delete
  5. Worthy of an outing. Not a BP fan myself but enjoy the game!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking Irregular figures Tony - good job on the painting of them. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like Irregular , cracking mail order service as well .

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking toys Tony...
    It is indeed a colourful and interesting period...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a very interesting period and rather overlooked I think .

      Delete