Thursday 6 August 2020

Oh no ! not another non-wargaming post .


Look what I found at the bottom of the garden whilst hacking back the jungle . Many years ago I did quite a lot of voluntary work with the National Trust on Hadrian's Wall helping on various excavations and visited the wall several times a year . On most return trips I used to call in at Carlisle Museum to look around their bookshop , they sold at one point resin casts of various Roman statues that where in the museum . It must be 30 years ago since I bought this one , it is of three Genii or spirits ( Genius Culcallati ?) each wearing a hooded cloak and carrying an egg in their right hand - a symbol of good luck . There is a theory that they are the forefathers of the humble garden gnome .


Of course I made the rookie mistake of not adding a scale to the first photo so here's a second with Charlie for scale .


Believe it or not there is wargaming going on in the background - but not very photogenic , working my way through he Spartan C&C expansion . Back to Toy Soldiers next week ! 



10 comments:

  1. They do look like garden gnomes to me, I would like that theory to be true.
    The Spartan expansion is my favourite CC:A expansion, the battles are fast and furious and I like the terrain tiles with city walls which I use for made up scenarios.
    Regards,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the battles very bloody , those 5 block Spartans are tough .

      Delete
  2. I do like the garden sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had become totally overgrown by ivy , sadly they stopped doing them , think it was a one off thing .

      Delete
  3. G'day, the ancient gnomes are excellent! The CC Ancient games are excellent and a great way to introduce the younger generation. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony- Amazing how a Garden can get so overgrown to consume statues and such ...we've a ceramic Duck and Frog in the Rockery and you've got to look hard to find them. Stay well there. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the forgotten corner by the hen run that gets overlooked

      Delete
  5. I find gaming activity to be at a lull as well, so appreciate the "interim" post (gives me ideas!). Love the garden sculpture: ancient garden gnomes--very cool!

    ReplyDelete