Friday 13 March 2020

Pimping my game .


I've started using 'A Gentleman's War' with my SYW-ish 40mm figures, when I play with my Balkans Imaginations I use Victorian pennies and a Russian pack of cards to play the game  and add flavour . However I've been thinking I needed different markers for the 18th century , I found a pack of Swedish (?) playing cards which look suitably antique , I happened to pass our local 'The Works' and noticed they had on display a children's 'Pirate Adventure set' which came with a eye patch , a treasure map and best of all some pirate money which will do for markers for my SYW games . I have discarded the eyepatch , but may investigate the map further .

8 comments:

  1. My in-laws sent me this book for Christmas, and it is wonderful! Engagingly written and full of interesting ideas. It would be great to see the details of one of your games using these rules here sometime if you feel like it.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will post the next game I play , remembering to take photos as things get exciting is a problem.

      Delete
  2. I like it! For my 18thC games I have a deck of cards from Louisberg which suit but no coins for markers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Tony - I'm kind of disappointed you rejected the eye-patch though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the elastic snapped when I tried it on : (

      Delete
  4. If you anyone is looking for some cards with a period feel try some from Piatnik.

    The Rococo set actually has SYW monarchs in it - so you could play a bonus when Freddie is turned?

    ReplyDelete