Friday 31 January 2020

First test castings .


I was eager to try out my new moulds that I had got off EBay , so I loaded up my empty Calor gas canister into my backpack and walked up to our local garage to swap it for a full one - only to find they don't sell them now ! , the best thing was I'd only been in the garage the day before and hadn't noticed there was no rack of canisters outside the front door - in fact they haven't stocked them for six months ! , so much for my observational powers ! . There is a Calor Gas depot in town but it will be next week before I can get there . I do have a electric hotplate but it takes forever to heat the metal up and then only in small amounts , however I gave it a go and got several test castings done .


The Saxon Jaeger came out very well with only the rifle sling missing as did the French Chasseur . The figures are true 40mm and semi-flat but nicely detailed and I'm pleased with them .


However there is a problem with the Bavarian infantryman as the metal doesn't flow through the mould to complete his rifle, I think I'm going to have to add a vent in the mould to get this to work . Hopefully when I get the new gas bottle I can try and cast some more up . 



8 comments:

  1. Good fun... I might wheel out some of my moulds for a spin. More and more places seem to be stopping stocking gas... The insurance and H and S implications simply don't make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm told that many caravans don't use gas nowadays , my hotplate is SUCH a pain to use though .

      Delete
  2. A promising start.

    So probably a match height-wise with Zinnbrigade and Scruby? They do look very thin in the photos, almost 1/4 round but its hard to tell that sort of thing when they're lying down on their own. I'm looking forward to see a few painted and standing beside some other figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't got any Scruby but similar height to Irregular and flater than the old Prince August , will try and get some painted next week .

      Delete
  3. Have you tried one of the Solder Pots - PA sell them but they are available cheaper on EBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't tried them , will have a look on eBay though .

      Delete
    2. If you buy one go for the larger 250/300W version as the larger pot is wider and deeper to get the ladle in.

      Delete