Friday 5 April 2019

A Frontier Clash , Using "A Gentleman's War" Rules (part 1)


So having received my copy of "A Gentleman's War" I dug out my 40mm Imagination collection of figures and so the forces of Treboria and Ferraro Rocca took the table again . After a false start were I got the rules wrong I reset the table and had another go .


You start the game by dealing 6 cards ,  each CinC gets a hand of 'Hold' cards which can be played to interrupt the flow of the game . Here we see the sinister Major Velkro the commander of the Roccaian force with the black cards and Captain Belzac the red .


The disputed ground . Cards are drawn one at a time, a red card activates a Treborian unit and the Roccain units on the black cards . Once a unit has moved in receives a token to show it has moved , once all a forces units have activated their tokens are removed . So there are no formal turns and in theory a forces units could activate several times before their opponents completes their own . 


When a unit is activated it throws a number of dice to show how far it moves , Infantry in line roll 2 dice , however these are Ferraro Roccain Reservists and are classed as 'slow' (getting on a bit you know) they roll 3 dice and discard the highest one .


Shooting is a D6 per two figures and hits get saving throws - all very Old School . The rules for combat are very simple and once you get  your head around the card activation system the game move quickly along . I'll report further as the game progresses .





2 comments:

  1. I bought the rules for solo play and am a little concerned that the hold cards will not work for me on my own. I will be interested to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mentioned this on their Facebook page and Howard Whitehouse made a suggestion on how to employ them when playing solo .

      Delete