Sunday 3 March 2019

A Blast From The Past ! . (a forgotten posting)

I have had this article on the computer since before Christmas and had rather forgotten about it -



 I came across my old copy of DBA wedged  between some Osprey books on my bookcase and I sat there wallowing in nostalgia - I bought them when they first came out in 1990 (that's 29 years ago !!!) and our group  played them constantly for years  and I amassed lots of 15mm DBA armies of various eras, we never bothered with the various new editions which I think didn't improve the game , then as things happen I moved on and ended selling off all my armies .


Then I came across a copy of The Sumerians by Leonard Wooley for 50p at a charity shop - 


I also saw and won very cheaply several boxes of plastic 1/72nd figures - so I was back into DBA .


I painted up two Sumerian DBA armies using these figures and re-read the rules , which there are not a lot of , but rather badly written - they read like a insurance document .


The war carts were a nightmare to assemble needing lots of pins to hold things in place . I used the 25mm scale basing system which needs a 4' x 4' table .


Spearmen and shield/pavise bearers , what I like about the Sumerians  that there is hardly anything known about their methods of warfare , we know they used ass drawn chariots and close order spear armed infantry and that's about it .


These are some of the very few contemporary illustrations of Sumerian warriors .


The opposing General flanked but skirmishers and Guti tribesmen . Behind them is the armies camp a homemade Ziggerat .


The other flank of the army , the great thing about DBA armies is that you only need twelve bases/elements per army and Sumerians are very simple figures to paint up .


Their first battle, skirmishers ( called 'Nim' - flies ) engage Guti highland tribesmen holding a patch of woodland . I'd quite forgotten how quick and simple DBA was to play , in my opinion  they probably portray ancient warfare as well as any other sets of rules and a lot easier to learn and remember . I'm going to paint up some more of the figures so I can field the other variants of the army .










8 comments:

  1. Fantastic looking game! I like what you've done with the Sumerians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather nice figures and very little flash always a plus with plastics .

      Delete
  2. I particularly enjoyed the campaign rules and had some grand campaigns playable over a couple of days. There were some desperate battles with six or seven elements defending a riverbank and the like.
    Happy days!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice nostalgic revisit. The DBA were hreat for buying armies of just 67 or so pieces or dragging back out old 25mm metal armies, I remember the rules started a real resurgence in Ancient interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes just painting up 12 elements was always a great plus .

      Delete
  4. Nice little armies!

    Was it so long ago? We did play for a while when it was new but soon found ourselves looking for ways to employ more of the already existing troops including changing the scale so each "stand" was actually 4 stands or 25mm troops and all the moves etc in proportion. By '95 we were on to Armati.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes time flies ! , the great selling point was that you could get about 4 games in an evening and so few figures to paint up .

      Delete