Sunday 15 September 2024

A return to an old favorite - 'The Sword in Africa'


Back from holiday and wondering what to play next ?, I was talking to 'S' and we got waxing lyrical about 'Old School' gaming and I started thinking - The Sword And The Flame !


I decided on using my my Congo forces - King Leopold's Force Publique versus the Azande tribesmen. 


The leader of the Force Publique- Major Henry Poirot (father of the famous detective)


The Azande Cheiftan Enoch Gbudwe - educated at Eton (expeled for 'bad behavior' ) and his retinue gets the 'speaking drums' to assemble his forces .


The Cheiftans Bodyguard armed with modern weapnary sneak along the river bank.


Two groups of Azande warriors , these are 28mm Foundry Miniatures I painted up years ago.


A unit of Azande musket armed tribesmen - a mixture of Foundry and Copplestones miniatures.


The Force Publique Askaris move onto the table .


Two units of Force Publique Auxillaries , Foundry and Copplestones figures.


The table - the Force Republique nearest the camera have to cross the river at the ford and raze the village , the Azandes have to prevent this .An update as the game progresses (click on photos to enlarge)



















 

6 comments:

  1. Lovely looking table and figures, looking forward to seeing how this one unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , it's a long while since I had them on the table.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks great Tony! Those Azande shields are awesome, wonderful painting skills! I can't wait to see your next report!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were done quite a while ago when my eyes were keener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Outstanding! An interesting period and a fun excellent set of rules.

    ReplyDelete