Saturday 23 January 2021

Cracking figures Gromit ! *


I was short of mounted command figures for 'Army Blue' so I thought I would order a suitable figure from Replica Metal Soldiers (Painted Traditional Toy Soldiers | Replica Metal Soldiers & Models) , he's the classic Lancer Officer from Britains and will be painted up as a Germanic type Uhlan and whilst I was on the site I noticed they do a mounted Highland Officer - you gotta have one of them I thought ! . They come in two pieces withe the body cavity of the horse hollowed out to save metal - the originals of course where hollow cast , they fit together very well and only needed a small amount of 'green stuff' to fit the joint . I've mounted them on bases to aid stability and will undercoat them when they are set .

*Alluding to the TV series 'Wallace and Gromit' for my overseas viewers - "cracking cheese Gromit"!

 

20 comments:

  1. Great choice for a command figure! I've always loved that turned in the saddle pose! It's so unique and makes you wonder, what's he looking at? Who is he listening to? I can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to think it was based on an original picture by Simkin, or Payne, one of those Victorian artists. My own version is painted as an officer of the Lincolnshire Yeomanry.

      Delete
  2. Classic figures! My lancer is dressed as the 17th of course. I try not to think of him as "Flashy". The Lancer's pose was also used for a mountie.

    The Highlander, with his faithful Wolfhound is the embodiment of MacDuff himself from the days of playing "With MacDuff to the Frontier" in the late 90's.

    I look forward to yours painted and in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I regret not buying two of the Lancer figures now he would make a great Flashman .

      Delete
  3. Beautiful figures! My son and I are huge Wallace and Grommit fans. It was too bad that Wendoline didn't like cheese. I felt sorry for Wallace in his disappointment.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it wasn't meant to be - you gotta like cheese 1 .

      Delete
  4. Classic figures indeed...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  5. As others have said, the lancer officer must be considered a classic.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes must try and track down the original painting .

      Delete
    2. I think its based on painting/print of a trooper in the 5th Royal Irish Lancers? Vaguely remember thinking it looked like the same posture.
      Michael

      Delete