Sunday 26 July 2020

Infamy, Infamy.


I'm a big fan of 'Sharp Practise'  which is a large skirmish set of rules , I've used these for several years for my Texan War of Independence and also for the ACW very successfully . So when I heard that they were bringing out an Ancient version of these I was intrigued and decided to get a copy . The rules are very well presented with a high production value and a nice set of cards to play the game . It's sort of 'Son of Sharp Practise' but of course with more emphasis on hand to hand combat . It helps to have already played SP as this helps you get your head around the rules which are not in themselves difficult but approach things from a different point of view unlike a lot of rules. The units are moved/fight using leaders that are activated with the card deck , your forces morale drops when bad things happen and this makes it harder to do things with your force . It is scenario driven and you win by accomplishing  the task allotted to you and your force , unusually the barbarians come onto the table from ambush points set out in terrain features on the tabletop rather than a table edge which can be very unnerving  for the Roman player . I've played a couple of test games to try out the rules and find them very entertaining , the 'Too Fat Lardies' do a series of videos on 'You Tube' to teach the rules  . I already have quite a number of figures painted up for SPQR so I can start playing full games with the addition of only a few figures . I will do a further report on the game next week .

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Think the 'Lardies' games are a bit Marmite , you either love them or not !

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the positive review - I'll put them on my shopping list. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've played SP there are a lot of similarities .

      Delete
  3. What’s their potential for solo play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being card driven the same as SP I think they will be okay , the difficulty with them is their alternative approach to the game .

      Delete
  4. When are we going to see another game of The Texas War of Independence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon hopefully just finishing the odd figure of and a couple of bits of scenery for it .

      Delete