Monday 12 August 2019

Confessions of an addiction .


Sits down uncomfortably in the support group - "I'm Tony and I'm addicted to Command and Colors Ancients" . It started with the easy option 'The Great War Centenary' Edition and before I knew it I was doing C&C Ancients - I need help ! .


Must admit I'm very impressed with the C&C Ancient game , the rules are simple - once you are au fait with the system it easily transfers to the other periods covered by the various boxes  , the difference being added by the card deck and the scenarios . I've found a system used on You Tube for playing it solo and games can be played in about a hour or so .  The only effort is attaching the little stickers to the 345 wooden blocks which are used to portray the forces in the various battles in the scenario book , but I found the task rather therapeutic .


 Games are set up using the scenario book and the blocks laid out as per the map , shuffle the cards - deal them out to both sides and your up and running .I am half way through the scenarios from the core game which covers the Punic Wars , it seems the ideal way to play the big historical battles of this era which I think figure games and rules could not cope with . It will not replace my toy soldiers but it scratches my itch for historical Ancients .



15 comments:

  1. CC: Ancients is in my Top 3 boardgames of all time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come late to C&C but very impressed with the simple system.

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with boardgames.....but.....with bigger hexes you can play the game with miniatures.
    Jeff doing Gaugamela with C&C multiplayer version

    Or Ron and I doing 25mm Romans and Gauls on Hexon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I play CCA with miniatures too only in 6mm!

      https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2016/03/battle-of-pharsalus-48-bce.html

      https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2014/08/battle-of-cannae-with-cca-in-6mm.html

      https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2013/11/cca-agrigentum-262-bc-batrep.html

      Delete
    2. I'm resisting the temptation for using figures (for the moment)

      Delete
  3. As well as doing C&C with figures, I think you could use the board and blocks for Bob Cordery's 'Portable Ancient Wargame'.
    Just a thought..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an addictive game, and game system - I think C & C Napoleonics is the best of them that I've played.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got it though my friend has will have to give it a go .

      Delete
  5. We play a lot of C&C Napoleonics with 15mm figures on a cloth with 120mm hexes.
    I think it is the most fun you can have with Napoleonics!

    ReplyDelete