Thursday 7 December 2017

Taking To The Air.


Whilst tidying my wargaming room I came across a plastic 1/48th scale(?) aeroplane kit , I think it's a Curtis 'Jenny' biplane , there were no instructions with it !? . I remembered I had got it to go with my 'Back Of Beyond' project and wanted a non descript two-seater that would do for any of the participants - hence no markings on it . In my distant youth I had been a quite a fan of constructing plastic WW1 aircraft kits so I thought I would glue it together . Hmm ! the years have not been kind to my aircraft building skills and it was a bit of a struggle (in fact it nearly ended up in the bin!) but I persevered and even stretched some sprue (over a candle - Ah ! that brings back memories - mainly of burnt finger ends !) to complete the rigging . Here we see the finished product with a couple of 28mm 'Copplestone' pilot figures ready for take off ! 


12 comments:

  1. That is a fine aircraft! I recently dipped back into 1/72nd WWI aircraft modeling. Your comment about loss of modelling skills sounds very familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks terrific - at first glance I thought these were the manufacturer's publicity shots, so I am well impressed. Very nicely done. Are you going to tell more of the Back of Beyond...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the plane will be appearing in a scenario of war torn Russia in thE near future.

      Delete
  3. Nice model and the figures look perfect with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily easy to put together as I couldn't find the instructions

      Delete
  4. Nice photo! Looks like a picture of a real plane on a grassy field until you see the figure's bases and big hands.

    Any thoughts on a flight stand for games? I have a 1/48th biplane (sorry can't be much more specific than that) I used to use with my 54's and hope to use with my 40's if it ever gets repaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the piece of carpet and the backdrop I used match very well , not thought about a flight stand yet !.

      Delete
  5. Great work and picture. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was nice to get the plane finished and hopefully on the table soon .

      Delete
  6. Wonderful job, my favourite period for the planes...

    ReplyDelete