Monday 24 July 2017

The Austrian Army Of 1859 .


I've started on the last of my armies for the Unification of Italy - the others being Garibaldi's Red Shirts , the Neapolitan army , the Papal army and the Sardinia/ Piedmontese . This one is the Austro-Hungarian Army who fought the Sardinians and French  in 1859  . The figures are of course Irregular - not to everyone's taste but I think they have a certain style combine with an excellent coverage of the period , cheapness and a marvellous mail order system . 


They are the Infantry Regiment No. 41 'Keller' and will be the first of two battalions for this regiment . The Austrian force will be about the same size as my other armies in this project - six units of infantry , two guns and crews and a few cavalry ( cavalry didn't seem to play a large part in the battles in Italy) . I've always been interested in the Austrians - anyone who can wear white and get away with it has my admiration (if I was to wear white the first thing I would do would be to spill yogurt or burger relish on it !) , a unit of Grenzer are next and I've just found out that the Independent Border Battalion 'Titler' had light blue jackets with red facings - a wargamers dream come true so I'll be including them in the orbat .




12 comments:

  1. Excellent work! The Irregular Austrians in your photos look pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't compare to the modern Perrys type stuff but are definitely easier to paint

      Delete
  2. Tony, what scale are your Irregular Austrians? - I have no problem with Irregular castings except that they are a law unto themselves when it comes to scale vs size. Can you get these guys to match with other makes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are 28mm but a small 28mm I don't tend to mix them with other ranges probably match Old Glory not sure about the Perrys

      Delete
  3. What Mr Freitag said, Tony. They look very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look great. Irregular are an excellent company, and to my eye better than Perry figures as they have a bit of character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Perry are nice but I like the 'toy soldier' look of the Irregular figures

      Delete
  5. The 1859 Austrian infantry uniform is one of my all time favourites. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , lots of colourful facings contrast with the white

      Delete