Saturday 25 April 2015

First Lion Rampant Unit.


 I've got the first unit for my Lion Rampant Retinues done , they have jumped their place in the painting queue and appear here in their full glory (units in LR are either 6 mounted or 12 foot) . I've gone for the simpler  forms of heraldry and can get away with it as my forces are to be very generic - circa England early 13th century , so I don't have to start painting lions , gryphons etc. onto shields and horse bardings ! . That said these took awhile to paint as I ended up doing each one individually . The next figures being units of bowmen and crossbowmen will be easier . I found myself digging out my ancient copy of Wargames Reaserch Group's  'Armies and Enemies of Feudal Europe ' to brush up on my heraldry protocols to get the colour layout right. 



13 comments:

  1. They look very nice, sir. I'm sure that they will acquit themselves well on the table top.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tempted to play a game before painting them all , Tony

      Delete
  2. One looks like Oxford. Who are the others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a list somewhere - Googled 'Baron's War' , think they are a signers of the Magna Carta , Tony

      Delete
  3. Splendid chaps! Your Oxford has a much nicer star than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stars I can do - Lions turn out like Donald Duck ! ,Tony

      Delete
  4. Quick work...they look great, and lovely and glossy too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very colorful lot, Tony!

    Do you plan to field your Lion Rampart project all in gloss coat? Looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say - well done on the heraldry! Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete