My wife helps at a charity shop and I called in to see her to go for lunch and was perusing the bookshelves and wandered into the Sports section (an area I do not tend to view) and came across this book ! . The chap that wrote it was a vicar and as we know vicars write a cracking book ! , very interesting and just the era I was aiming for . It is illustrated by the authors paintings of racing cars - what a find !
I have also purchased the other cars I needed from the eBay , here a Talbot Lago , the card is going to be part of my racing car game , in black and white cos this is the 50s !
A Cooper Bristol , the driver is Reg Parnell - you don't get people called 'Reg Parnell' nowadays - and thats what's wrong with the modern world !
And finally a HWM (Hersham and Walton Motors) piloted by Stirling Moss - there's a name to conjure with ! - I remember Stirling Moss from my youth . I've made cards for ever car and for some strange reason my printer is leaving a white line through them (Grrr!)
The prototype track - a piece of MDF rescued from my neighbours skip , the rules are being worked on at the moment - keeping them simple and having no paperwork to record speed etc - hence the dice behind the cars .The rules are up next .





Great job Tony, I'm glad that you located all of the cars that you needed! This looks like it will be a lot of fun! Enjoy!
ReplyDeletePleased to have all the cars , and not to expensive , now to try out some rules.
DeleteGreat idea...I'll be Fangio!
ReplyDeleteNames from the past to conjur with
DeleteVery nice find, looks a cracking book. Nice to see the whole project up and running.
ReplyDeleteFound it just by chance, I believe in serendipity
DeleteAn excellent and timely find, looks a super read. Looking forward to seeing where your rules take you in this fascinating project.
ReplyDeletePlay testing a few ideas at the moment.
DeleteLooks a great book. We recently had a miniature reissue of Pit Stop with chance cards squares with the dice roll list printed in the box lid, good fun - I can’t find my mini copy seen here https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20003/pit-stop
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link
DeleteInteresting what you say about names like Reg Parnell. The odd thing is not only do first names disappear (the whims of fashion) but surnames also seem to fade out.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure there are some Parnells out there - but no Reg's , sad !
Delete