Sunday 12 May 2024

What's going on ! ?

 


I started these 40mm Prince August French SYW-ish figures about six month ago .: Starting painting my 40mm SYW-ish . (tonystoysoldiers.blogspot.com) and they got put into a cupboard and somewhat forgotten . Having a clear out looking for something else I came across them and decided I must get them finished . They are the Volonttaires Estranger a unit of French Light Infantry. 


In the same tray I found this 54mm Blacksmith figure and anvil - for the life in me I can't remember where he came from !? - eBay ? , think he might be a hollowcast Britains as the anvil has Britains stamped on it , hmm do I repaint him ? - will have to think about that.



10 comments:

  1. My opinion is that unless a figure is worth heaps left as is paint it. If done well it will look better. I aim for a semi-gloss to represent what sheen these figures have now. I never got them as a child, new, but handed down from cousins so didn't see them in an original high gloss. I want them to fit into scenes and games with my other figures and they don't look right with the metal showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I work on how much paint has been lost , this chap has about half the paint missing and is quite a plain figure so I think I will repaint him.

      Delete
  2. Always nice to find a forgotten project!! Have to agree, I think the blacksmith will look grand with a new paint job, nice figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a habit of pigeon holeing painting projects and forgetting them.

      Delete
  3. The old, "Where did that come from?" moment brought on by a clear out. I'm convinced that there are metaphysical forces at work, with vintage lead coalescing out of thin air wherever old lead is left out of sight long enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the blacksmith needs your expert painting skills Tony and he will look much better than new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In some ways the wear and tear on the blacksmith makes him look begrimed and soot-blackened, as a real blacksmith might be... if you paint him, maybe leave a few rough edges for authenticity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a sensitive topic repainting - bit like growing old gracefully and not getting cosmetic surgery .

      Delete