Sunday 23 July 2023

Almannia Flying Artillery.

 


I dislike painting limbers and teams - but once done they do look good on the table . I was hoping to photo these outdoors but as the rest of Europe bakes in sunshine the UK is covered in clouds and rain , so I have photographed them on my desk .


I didn't bother with all the complicated horse traces etc . , I do like how the crew fit onto the limber and gun , nice chunky models .


One of the problems with limbers is how they are attached to the horse teams ! , I have thrown authenticity to the wind and simply drilled some holes into the flanks of the horses and glued a pin to join them together . The limber I simply bent the trail around into a hook so it loops around the pin and it can be unlimbered easily.


The gun and crew unlimbered and ready for action . I'm off to paint up some more of the infantry now seeing it's still pouring down ! 







12 comments:

  1. I too struggle with limber teams but they do look good on the table and yours is a cracking team, very nice work and it will grace the battle field.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I find them pointless whilst painting them and love their look on the tabletop.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful paint job as always Tony! An excellent addition to your table and the Almannian force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , the gloss varnish helps the effect I think.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work there on the Artillery - great models. Hope you can move out into the Garden for some sunny photos of the team. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , sadly it's been very wet these last two days.

      Delete
  4. In 54mm I think the Britains limbers were among the best, both their old hollow cast range and the plastic ACW ones. I have a number of the latter. Marx did some good ones too, but I think you are working in a smaller scale.
    With my own wargames I sometimes just add, stuck on a base, a pair of horses, mules or oxen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the Britains ACW limber and team , very nice models .

      Delete
  5. That's going to be an impressive presence in future games, will anywhere on the table be safe from it? Still waiting on my copy of AGW to arrive so not sure what artillery ranges are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will look good on the table , think artillery ranges vary depending on how heavy the gun is , 36" to 48" about I think .

      Delete
  6. Looks darned good to me. Anyway, if it was good enough for Airfix it should be good enough for Zinnbrigade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Airfix knew what they where doing when it comes to limbers and teams - no messing about.

      Delete