Friday 19 August 2022

First encounter .


'A' dropped me off a small present today, four  28mm Medieval Men at Arms - the result of 3D printing in resin ! , he'd got them off eBay . This is the first time I've come across anything 3D printed - I'm aware of it taking certain aspects of the hobby by storm but not figures .(click on photo to enlarge0


I'm intrigued by them - they are very fine castings, light and with a lot of fine detail (again click on photo to enlarge) . I have glued them to bases and attached their shields to them with super glue , I'm going to undercoat them and will post photos of them painted . Is this the future of wargaming figures !? - and there is me just getting used to plastics ! .


In an act of serendipity my copy of Lion Rampant 2nd edition arrived from Amazon today (I'd rather forgotten I'd pre-ordered it ) , so these figures will be joining the ranks of my Lion Rampant armies .





 

12 comments:

  1. A close encounter of the 3d kind, eh?.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They take a bit of getting used to... particularly the correct scale weapons which looks very feeble after pumped up metal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - left the wrong link! I like the look of these knights and will be interested to see how they look when painted. I have experimented with 3D figures and was happy with the results -see here for example https://1808534.blogspot.com/2021/10/butterfly-blown-off-course.html
    These are commercially produced, and I bought them, rather than knowing anyone with a 3d printer.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those figures on the link look good , this is obviously the next thing in wargaming figures .

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tony...I liked them, but on the other hand, a lot if the 3D prints are quite pricey at the moment, so they may not usurp other figure types quite yet, but one day, who knows...gamers may pay a few pounds/dollars for the STL files, then print off an entire 28mm in their garage over the course of a few days?

      Delete
    3. Yes think they are about the same price as metal ones .

      Delete
  4. They look great Tony! I'm sure your excellent painting skills will make them fit right in! I've purchased some 3D space ships and copies of old and very rare plastic spacemen. They look really good, and are relatively cheap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The detail is as good or better than metal I think , hope to get them painted next week .

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid it is. I have a friend with a 3d printer who churns out armies and buildings. Coincinentally I'm about to have my first go at painting up some for review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very detailed , but not sure how durable ?

      Delete