Saturday 14 May 2022

A rural aside .


These photos have been on my phone for a while and seeing I'm having a bit of a clean out I thought I would put them on here before I delete them . My mother used to say "Cats are superior , Dogs are inferior and Pigs are our equals" . 


We took the dog for a walk around Levens Park , as we past the Hall my wife said " do you want to call in for a cup of tea at the cafe"  - seeing she volunteered to pay how could I refuse ! .


As we had the dog with us we had to sit in the courtyard . The Hall is old originally a medieval Pele tower with lots of Elizabethan (?) bits added . I have been round it many years ago - got round free as I was a Lake District Voluntary Warden at the time and it was a freebie day out , for some reason they have one of Napoleon's saddles (!?) .


The fountain who's tinkling water had a detrimental effect on my bladder ! - trickling water and a man of a certain age - went to the loo twice ! .


The spread ! (mine is the Earl Grey - the other hellish concoction my wife's) The scones - homemade a plus but NO jam - a big minus - I did enquire but the didn't have any - I was quite put out !!! and things got worse - the b****y dog sneaked up and scoffed the last bit of my scone - I could have cried (there there - chin up now !)


The magnificent avenue of trees which was once the carriage route to the Hall .


And things got better ! , I managed to locate (with help from Google) an elusive prehistoric Burial cairn I have been looking for , so I got my somewhat sceptical wife to take a photo of me and the dog standing proudly on it ! - being a gal she don't understand the importance of these - as she puts it 'mounds in the grass' . I must say it doesn't appear as impressive as I thought it . It was as 'Wallace' would say - A grand day out ! 













 

14 comments:

  1. Nice place to walk the dog! I don't mind scones with butter...but my wife would be of the same opinion as you re the lack of jam! I think I would go with your wife's choice of drink though, I like plain old Ceylon Breakfast Tea, but can't abide Earl Grey! I accidentally made a cup for a colleague at work many years ago...he thought I had not rinsed the mug and he could taste washing up liquid! A lot of pre historic remains are disappointing in the flesh....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that you may have been saving the last bit of scone for the faithful companion, anyway (jam or no jam).

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT !!! No JAM??? ...A terrible state of affairs. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- it all makes for a laugh...bit like ordering a Bacon and Egg Roll and the Cafe People are to skimpy to actually use Butter!

      Delete
  4. Fascinating post... but no jam at a country house tea room... what's the word coming to? I've always wanted to visit a Pele tower since reading Cue for Treason as a youth, but have yet to do so. Barrow bothering is a great pastime, but even if they look more prominent in real life, getting a decent picture if then is difficult .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are hard to make impressive on the silver screen .

      Delete
  5. Your mother was a wise woman Tony! Too bad about the jam, I'm sure that the dog was trying to spare you another lack-luster bite of jam-free scone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm , he's just a greedy dog , the scone was good - homemade but let down by the lack of jam .

      Delete
  6. Sometimes its not the thing itself that's notable but the idea of the thing, like the burial mound, but perhaps not so much the jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mound is noticeable when you get there - if you know what your looking at - otherwise a green bump , the lack of jam still rankles .

      Delete