Saturday 12 October 2019

Second hand find .


Just been to the local hospital for my yearly eye check up and whilst waiting I had a rummage around in the WRVS book boxes - they run the refreshment kiosk and always have some second hand books for sale (mainly Barbara Cartland 'bodice rippers') and I came across this rather battered copy of  ' Operation Warboard' , I was aware of this book but have never had a copy before . It was originally published in 1976 and this one is the paper backed version from 1978 , it has been well thumbed and has that musty 'old book' smell , whoever owned it obviously used it for gaming as there are scribbled notes in pencil throughout the book which adds character to it . On the front cover it says 'Wargaming at it's best' - Wargamers Newsletter - a fine testimonial indeed , so I'm going to sit down with a cup of tea and biscuits and have a read - has anybody ever used it to play WW2 games ? . 

12 comments:

  1. Great find Tony! I've never read it I'm afraid so have no idea what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ve read all the Barbara Cartlands then?
    I had a hardback of Op Warboard and I did actually use the rules a few times. I’ve tried far worse games...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good finds recently...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something about the 1970s - just great Publication- appreciated by us 'older' chaps...enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it was when wargaming tried to go mainstream (and failed)

      Delete
  5. An excellent find,once more, which is well worth a read. I have the reprint but haven’t used them as l have a soft spot for Battle!practical wargaming. I will be interested to see what you do with them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I played 'Battle' for WW2 back in the 70's , not sure I'll use these rules but an interesting read .

      Delete
  6. An excellent find in unusual company for a gaming book;along with the WW1 pilots its proving a lucky month for family finds !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was lucky , they were in different charity shops though .

      Delete