Tuesday 28 August 2018

The Lure Of Old School .


I usually have a game set up to play , but this week my table has been gathering rubbish, books and boxes of figures - so I had a good clear up and wondered - what to play !? . After a think and a cup of tea (and biscuits) I decided on my old favourite - 40mm SYW(ish) . Here we see the Allied Commander The Duke of Cumberland (Fat Billy) and his somewhat slimmer Aide.


I set some terrain up and used the contents of the first box I came across for the Allies (on the left) and diced for their set up positions using the old Featherstone formula - 1-left flank, 2 - left centre, 3 - centre, 4 - right centre , 5 - right flank , 6 - in reserve . The Allies have the British 20th Foote , the Brunswick Regt. Von Zastrow and a company of Prussian Fuziliers (newly painted) and the Prussian Hussars Regt. Reusch


The French Commander The Duke of Camembert (left) watch a unit of Ulhans speed down the road aiming for the Allied centre. The other units in the French army are Regt. Du Roi , Regt. Orleans and a gun and crew. Again I diced for their deployment positions as I did with their enemy.


The rules being used are my old favourites Batailes de l Ancien Regime.


The French Regt. Du Roi deployed in column of companies  , with the Regt. Orleans behind the village , the artillery is on the extreme right flank beyond them .


There is some confusion as the Regt. Orleans have to manoeuvre around the village to find ground to deploy . too their left the Regt. Du Roi deploy into line.


First blood to the Allies ! , the 20th Foote deploy into line and the left company 'gives fire' on the Uhlans as the move down the road. 


The situation at the end of the second move, The French are struggling to gain space to deploy as the Allies form line and the Brunswickers move around the wooded  hill on the upper right of the photo to flank the enemy . The game will be 15 moves long and I will report on it's progress in due course...…..










20 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sight, I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my favourite figures , about 75% I cast up myself .

      Delete
  2. Nothing compares to shiny soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good to see your Prince August figures back in action. They look grand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you , the board and scenery is rather basic but matches the O.S. idea .

      Delete
  5. There is something comforting about these pictures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see the old school battalions on the march,gloriously shiny. I recall sending off to Bill Protz for these rules years ago and them arriving on a very wet summer day, they fairly cheered the day up. It was long ago and far away so much...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely toys Tony...
    You can’t beat shiny toy soldiers...
    I like the trees... they remind me of The Magic Roundabout...:-)

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are from Ebay , MDF used for making family trees

      Delete
  8. A charming post in every respect - following.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adding my voice to the chorus: A charming and wonderful sight! Wargaming as it should be.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , I hoping to add some more units in the future.

      Delete