Sunday 3 September 2017

Old Faithful .



The other evening 'A' came round for a game and whilst playing he borrowed my ruler and remarked "you must have had this old thing for ages!" and "I thought I broke it ?" - the answers where 'yes' and 'yes' and 'I repaired it !' . This set me thinking how long have I had it ? . To the best of my recollection I acquired it at 'Northern Militaire' when I bought a couple of 'Savage and Soldier' magazines from a trader and was given it as a 'freeby' , now there hasn't been a 'Northern Militaire' wargaming show for over twenty years or more so that is probably how old it is.


Savage and Soldier was a magazine which dealt with Colonial warfare and wargaming (sadly I don't seem to have any copies left in my collection) and seeing it had been 'serving wargamers since 1965' must have been one of the first gaming magazines out.


It has served me well and suffered injury in action - 'A' was making a dramatic sweeping action mid battle hence the breakage - which was repaired using wood glue and is as good as ever . A fellow blogger was remarking how difficult it was in this metric era to get twelve inch rulers nowadays , so I had better look after 'Old Faithful' . (just found that some of the original articles can be found at http://www.savageandsoldier.com/)



3 comments:

  1. Another bit of gaming weirdness? One of my gaming buddies used to game regularly with Lynn Bodin in the late '60s. I believe they collaborated on a number of wargame projects while both were attending University of Washington in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When playing games with friends its good to always heed the Olden Rule.

    ReplyDelete