Thursday 15 October 2015

Age Of Arthur.


I blame Bernard Cornwall !!! , I noticed that his Viking series of books is appearing on the BBC later in the month - I thought 'I'm sure I've got a copy of those I need to read !?' , so I hunted around but couldn't find it ! (think I may have lent it to 'S'?) - but what I did find was the first book of his Arthurian trilogy , the problem was that I sat down and started re-reading it - and was hooked ! Oh dear ! 


It's a jolly good read and got me thinking - I have a Romano-British army and various opponents already painted up in 28mm and have not used them for years , mainly due to the lack of suitable playable/rememberable rules and I had thought of selling them - but how to use them ? .


I sat pondering this - well actually whilst walking the dog - then the idea came to me - I'd seen somebody adapting the 'Lion Rampant' rules for the 'Dark Ages' and am sure it would work for the Arthurian era slightly earlier, so I gave my figures a looking over and found a lot of them were on multi-bases - Hmm! they would need re-basing (sigh!) . But it would mean I would be able to use them again and not have to paint anything ! . Rather pleased with myself I sent off an order to 'Warbases' for new single MDF bases, then I found a bag of unpainted figures for the period in my 'box of shame' under the wargaming table - so I will have a few figures to paint up - but not many ! . A progress report to follow .........



7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to this. The Winter king trilogy must be the best books Cornwell has written, and the battle of Badon takes place where my house is!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent books - I however are partisan to a northern Arthur based on Hadrian's Wall ! : ) , Tony

      Delete
  2. Nothing like rescuing and repurposing an army.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those 19th century illustrations (though I think the last one is a Prince Valiant?). They may be fanciful, but they have an extraordinary sense of movement and life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to say I just trawled Google Image - but the Victorian plates have a certain style with them ! , Tony

      Delete
    2. Yes King Arthur charging Saxon invaders from an early episode before Val becomes a knight.

      Delete