Monday 8 June 2015

On The Naming Of Cats.


A question has arisen (mainly from my immediate family) on the subject of the name of our newly acquired kitten 'Hugo '. He came 'pre-named' by the rescue centre - his mother's name began with H so all her offspring hence got names beginning with H ! ( I believe he has a brother Harrison ) . I have a rather undeserved reputation for giving cats odd and/or obscure names (see our other cat Hodge) so Hugo has no connection with the 19th century author Victor Hugo ! , they bear very little resemblance to each other - Hugo on the left - dead author V. Hugo on the right and when presented with a copy of  Les Miserables he simply chewed the corner of the book - this being I think down to kittenish behaviour rather than any literary comment !


On wargaming side of things I'm busy finishing off the last of the medieval figures for 'Lion Rampant' and have even started my Piedmontese army for 1860 Italy - photos of which shall appear soon . I've also purchased some rather nice MDF scenery for my Necromunda project the first small tower pictured above. 


8 comments:

  1. We name our cats after barbarian warlords. Suits their pitiless natures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our current cat, Shasha also came pre-named from a shelter . . . but the name that they had given her was "Seymour" . . . not really very appropriate for a lady cat . . . and she did not respond to it.

    Re-name Hugo is you so desire.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sigh* . . . that should be "if you so desire" (not "is").


      -- Jeff

      Delete
    2. Going to stick with Hugo I think , Tony

      Delete
  3. I approve of Hugo.....cats (and indeed other pets) sound more of the family with 'human' names. Hodge is pretty cool. Reminds me of 'Hodge and his Masters' by Richard Jefferies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hodge was named after Dr Samuel Johnson's cat , Tony

      Delete
  4. Re Hugo V and Hugo junior, going by the photo comparison, there is a strking family resemblance; in particular the noses and the whiskers :)

    ReplyDelete