Wednesday 15 March 2023

Lucky eBay find .

 


Lets face it do I really need anymore 54mm figures - probably not BUT when I saw these on eBay and nobody seemed interested I put a low bid in for the two items and rather forgot about them - thinking that I was not going to get into a bidding war . And guess what ! I won both items at the price of just over a £1 a figure ! - Happy Bunny time ! 


They are Britains hollow cast West Point Cadets first issued in 1926 I think and being a total of 36 gives me three units for 'AGW' rules. The paint job is a bit of a mystery , they are depicted in the 'Winter Dress' (grey trousers) but the cross straps and buttons haven't been painted on ? or has the torso been over painted ? - the bases , rifles and faces are original I think , but maybe the gloves and waist belts could be a later addition ? .


To make them 'combat ready' they need gluing onto bases to prevent them falling over , but I'm not sure about adding paint to the cross straps , buttons and coat tails ? they have a naive charm to them as they are, I wonder if they are 'factory' seconds ? - but the faces are well painted with the standard 'dot' eyes red cheeks and mouths/moustaches , Hmm ! a bit of a mystery ?







12 comments:

  1. Cracking result, I think I would leave them as is, they look grand, hopefully they will do well on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am gluing them to bases first and will see how they look.

      Delete
  2. What a bargain Tony, a really great find! They are very mysterious however. They look like a second grade paint job with the lack of straps, buttons and shako embellishments. But their faces appear to be very well done! Great buy, they should be great on your table, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes am a bit mystified by the paint job , they will look well on the table though.

      Delete
  3. What a bargain! And the paintwork looks clean and tidy for adding detail. I have two in my collection, serving as orderlies for a vehicle, but I do cast the old Timpo West Point alternatives, as the grey uniform looks good on the gaming table.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are nice looking figures - I personally would prefer the plumes, lace and belts painted but low key but they are pretty good as they are. One thing I think I would have to do would be paint the hair as the bald heads make them look like cyborgs... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of painting the cross belts and touching up the paint .

      Delete
  5. Splendid pick up there Tony- The Britains look terrific!

    ReplyDelete