Monday 18 May 2020

I live up to my mug !.


My mug says 'Grumpy Old Man' and this morning I have lived up to this epitaph . Over the last few weeks I've noticed my computer monitor 'blinking' when I switch the computer on and at intervals during the day - this I took to be a sign from the Gods of Technology that it was dieing . On consulting my wife she estimated we had had it over 10 years or more (she's better at remembering things like that) which in this throw away age is not bad for a bit of electrical equipment, so I thought I'd better purchase a new one off  Amazon , which duly  arrived  . As my wife left for work this morning she said "are you going to set that new monitor up" (with that hint of command rather than request) - so I dismantled the old one and started setting up the new . This involved me crouching in a fetal position with my head under the computer desk trying to feed the various cables round the back whilst accidently banging my head on the table/wall frequently with the dog trying to help by running off with my screwdriver and various bits of cable and pushing his way  into the confined space to see what was going on . Luckily I was alone as the language when down hill rapidly . Of course the instructions are in about twenty languages and printed in the tiniest print possible and there is a cable that has nothing to do with U.K. electrics which was a puzzlement  , however I persisted and it's up and running and looking rather splendid and my grumpiness is subsiding - time to fill the mug up with tea and have a biscuit or two to restore my humour .

14 comments:

  1. Well done Tony- the instillation looks as neat as a button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's working well , just the installation that was a problem .

      Delete
  2. Good man, Tony - stout effort. It's important that we swear at these supposedly inanimate objects, and give them a hard time - they try to frustrate us deliberately, so we must not let them get away with it.

    Enjoy the new monitor - hang onto the warranty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want technology to work , I haven't time for it's problems and I take their attitude personally .

      Delete
  3. You are a braver man than I, tackling such a job. I usually leave such things to wife or son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, at least that task is now behind you for another ten years. Have a second helping of biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain Sir. I recently redecorated the entire study and then had to reinstall the computer, TV and (the boys) games console. It was okay laying down and feeding the wires but it was the getting up that was the problem. I can only conclude that gravitational pull has increased in the last decade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally relate to your ambivalence towards technology....so called plug and play I have found NEVER just work the way it's claimed that they will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instructions are always printed SO small ! .

      Delete
  7. In the days when I was paid to do this sort of thing in addition to my main jobs, I learned that "Patience is a virtue" but I also learned that machines can often be cowed and reduced to submission by strong language and threats of physical retribution.

    ReplyDelete