Wednesday 18 December 2019

Nearly done .


Well I've just finished off my last two units of the Government army for my '45' project , above is 'Hamilton's Regiment of Dragoons' (14th) . It's just about a year since I started this collection and I'm somewhat amazed that I've got it done .


Hamilton's was at Prestonpans were it fled with the other British cavalry when the Highlanders charged . It didn't perform much better at Falkirk I'm afraid either . The figures are 1/72nd scale Strelets and were originally 'Dragoons of Peter the Great' from the Great Northern War range . 


The final British Regiment of Foot is 'Thomas Murray's ' (46th) it was at Prestonpans were most of its troops were captured by the Jacobites when the British army routed . I hope to put on a Prestonpans re fight in the New Year . I'm always a bit sad when I come to the end of a project as I've enjoyed painting these up immensely , I have odds and sods to paint up such as dismounted figures for Hamilton's Dragoons and some transport waggons but will get them done in 2020 .


I do like plastic 20mm 1/72nd scale figures (a somewhat forgotten scale I think) . I must now start thinking about next years project !? .




10 comments:

  1. Very nice. I’ve always thought that the hard plastic revolution might have been more universally useful had it been done in 1/72 rather than 28mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good looking units very nicely staged for the photo. I look forward to seeing the full project when you get to play out Prestonpans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , hopefully it will make more of a 'game than the actual battle which only lasted about a quarter of an hour .

      Delete
  3. I remember how big 1/72 looked when I went back to them after a decade of 15mm and smaller. Then I went 54mm and they looked small again!

    Anyway these have certainly finished up nicely or should I sa Bra'

    This calls for a song: Prestonpans by the Corries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it's a bit of a culture shock swapping from 40mm to them, I don't think I could do 15mm nowadays, poor Johnny Cope , he has such bad press . If Prestonpans had been a British victory would the rebellion have ended before it got going ? .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work as always... how about 1/72 Samurai wars for next year? It just so happens I'll be flogging some soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the 28mm Test of Honour figures already I'm afraid , have a bit of a mental block at times when it comes to painting Japanese figures .

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks I've really enjoyed painting them , one or two bits and pieces to do but mainly what finished .

      Delete