Sunday 28 January 2024

2024 Model Railway Exhibition (or a grand day out)

To distract myself from the ongoing wifi problems I took myself to this years model railway show held at the local leisure centre.
There where a lot of railway layouts, I quite like the smaller ones were the trains sort of enter 'stage left' and then disappear off right around a bit of scenery.
There seemed to be a lot more smaller scale layouts this year.
This one is of a railway repair depot , all of the exhibits have embraced modern lighting and computer technology.
I did fall into conversation with hobbyists about advancements in the hobby and was promptly baffled by science- as only any enthusiast can do.
The detail was impressive.
These two are of a iron works looking very grimy indeed.
I liked this one especially, so cute in it's own box .
There were a lot of people there and was told there had been over a thousand people on the Saturday!
The false perspective on the scenic backdrop is amazing, the houses disappear into it.
There was a good selection of traders selling hobby related products- I bought some super glue and some green flock.
Blackpool football supporters on an away day , all in all it was "a grand day out!'

13 comments:

  1. Excellent report Tony with wonderful photos! I have mixed my Lionel O Gauge train set with 40mm toy soldiers on occasion. It was fun and added a lot of action to my games! I may have to set it up once again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at these photos again I realised I took more shots of the terrain/layout than the actual locos - must be the wargamer in me .

      Delete
  2. Looks like it was a good day out, some nice layouts there, one day I will do a layout!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a model railway as a child and always been interested in them, but it would be one hobby to many.

      Delete
  3. Encouraging to hear of the large turnout for the show. I've often seen the health of model railroading as an indicator of the health of our much smaller niche hobby (particular the whole "graying of" business).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qualification; I've often seen the health of model railroading CITED as an indicator... (whether a valid comparison or not is another matter).

      Delete
    2. The people I saw were 50+ plus the smattering of dad's and small boys , think model railways have always been more popular than wargaming.

      Delete
  4. I would love the space and time to indulge in this hobby too - but as you say it would be one hobby too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a whole new rabbit hole to dissappear down.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. They turned out better than I thought, the lighting in sports halls is always strange I find.

      Delete
  6. Good to hear you enjoyed the day out at the Model Railway Exhibition...there are a lot of creative people in the model world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes there where a lot of impressive layouts.

    ReplyDelete