Tuesday, 17 July 2018

Finally Getting There.


Well I got all the required figures cast  and  started cleaning them up , filing the bases flat and getting rid of any flash or mould lines .


The finished figures ready for the necks to be drilled out to fit the heads .


At this point Charlie who had been fast asleep across the room heard me start unwrapping a 'Kit Kat' biscuit !.


Having placated the dog with some of my biscuit I started drilling the necks out . I used my trusty 'Dremel' with a small bit to drill a starter hole then a larger one the same size as the shank on the head. I held the figure steady in an old leather glove held in place with a mould clamp. 


The finished figures glued to their bases ready for spraying black.





Sunday, 15 July 2018

The Goddess Of Home-Casting Smiles .


Well I've got a new full gas bottle , I found there was a Calor Gas depot on a local industrial estate so I swapped my empty one for a full one. The Goddess of Home casting smiled on me and I got the remaining figures done , spurred on by this I tried casting from a metal Nurnberger Meisterzinn mould , now in the past I've had trouble getting successful figures from these moulds - but I was on a roll today so I got half a dozen figures cast from this mould* - enough to finish off a sub-unit of twelve figures . So next weeks task is to clean up all these castings, base them and give them a black undercoat .
*I've been told pre-heating the mould over the gas helps and it seemed to work today.


Thursday, 12 July 2018

Casting Blues.


Things have come to a temporary halt on the casting front as my gas bottle has run out of gas . So I put it in my backpack (its awkward to carry and heavy-ish) and set off for the garage on the top road to swap it for a full one , I got there and found they had moved the safety cage they keep them in , on enquiring were they kept them now I was told - "we don't do them now - to much hassle with health and safety and we never sold many" ! - BLAST ! . So I'm going to have to find another supplier . 


I have done quite well in getting the next unit cast up seeing it's being very hot and so not pleasant slaving over a hot mould. The venting I did on the moulds seems to be working, but the metal I'm using is a bit rough but we are getting there.


Tuesday, 10 July 2018

Painted Ladies .


One of the hardest things to paint when it comes to figures are females , the average male figures has a somewhat craggy face which with a bit of shading and a touch of stubble can look convincing . Females however especially if they are done convincingly I find hard to do justice too (most females in wargaming are predictably portrayed with large out of proportion boobs and so somewhat a caricature) . Warlord have just done a set of female Samurai figures ( Onna- bugeisha ) for the 'Test of Honour' skirmish game and being a total 'fanboy' I had to get them . They are very nice indeed , slender and well proportioned and actually look like Japanese girls . Having got them I had to think of painting them , I must admit I was a little intimidated by the prospect . I looked at various illustrations and Google-pics which showed how hard it was going to be to get it right . Upper class Japanese woman tended to wear heavy makeup which whitened their faces and the eyebrows were drawn on , cheeks heavily rouged and very red lips , hard to get right in 28mm and not make them look like Coco the Clown. Here is my first finished figure and I'm happy with it , I pinched the colour scheme of the clothing straight off the Warlord advert , Well that's one down another six  to do .



Friday, 6 July 2018

A New Book .


I don't normally do book reviews but I think I must draw attention to this book , there is not much on the Thirty Years War in English , there are a couple of general histories of the war but not much on the details how the battles were fought or how armies operated . So I was overjoyed with this book , it's a period of the war I based my armies on and packed full of information including an orbat of the battle , details of captured flags and how the terrain affected the battle . 10 out of 10 .

Thursday, 28 June 2018

Deployment Point Markers.



One of the main things about 'Sharp Practise' is the use of Deployment Points from whence your force comes onto the table and if captured by the enemy  prevents further reinforcements and is detrimental to your armies morale . It seems la rigueur to have army / period  markers so I thought I would make some for my Tex-Mex games . I noticed some plastic cacti for cake decorations in a shop that does wedding cakes etc. so I bought their entire stock (much to the amazement of the lady behind the counter - I didn't enlighten her to my true purpose) . I glued these to some round MDF bases and textured then I also added a couple of Mexican peasant figures to them so they are ready for the next game.

Tuesday, 26 June 2018

A Bit Of Casting .


Well Britain is baking in an unusual hot spell - to hot for me and to hot for the dog , so I'm getting up at  5am and taking him for a walk before it gets to hot . Having got that out of the way I had a go at casting some more 40 mm Prince August figures for the Prussian battalion I'm forming .


The results - not bad for a start , but was getting quite a few mis-casts especially on the bayonets, halberd and Officers sword . This maybe because of the less than pure metal I'm casting with (mainly old figures) or that I've not been casting for about 6 months and these are new moulds to me .


So I decided to cut a few vents in the moulds to encourage the hot metal to run to the extremities of the figures , here we see Hugo inspecting the doctored moulds . Hope to have another go tomorrow to see if these modifications have improved things.