Sunday 21 January 2024

Colonel Lincoln Logge - further information.

Whilst I was 'off air' I managed to get a bit more information on the character Lincoln Logge . I was lucky to be able to access the library at the University of Felpersham in Borsetshire to trawl their extensive files on the 'Great Patio War'and must thank the librarians there for their help .
Lincoln Logge seems to have appeared in several 'pulp western magazines' , mainly telling of his exploits on 'The Great Patio' and his envolvement in the subsiquent war. His adventures are sensational and I'm afraid rather far fetched and the spelling of his name fluctuates from issue to issue - in fact he himself never seemed to settle on one way of spelling it.
He had a bit of a revival in the 1930's as seen by this hardback book for children (age 4-7) as he beats off an attack by 'Army Blue' single handed , the official records on the war rarely meantion him although he did meet several personalities at this time - both Kipling and H.G. Wells mention him in their reminiscences- once met he was hard to forget.
There was meant to be an 'B movie' of his adventures but all I could find is this one still from the film - it is not even sure that the film was compleated or screened - further investigation is needed in this area . He is an interesting character but rather enigmatic at times. I hope to be able to find out more in the future. .

8 comments:

  1. The figures really look great Tony, and your "research" is amazing! Wonderful resources to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm luck having access to the university library.

      Delete
  2. He looks remarkably like Fess Parker - perhaps they were related. His Indian pal looks like Mingo, but that is surely coincidental.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if George MacDonald Fraser got his start doing similar "research?" Darned fine reading, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , I fear I will not be able to emulate GMF

      Delete
  4. I'll have to look out for "Across the Patio" on the plethora of Film channels we get that never show anything later than about 1970

    ReplyDelete