Saturday 16 September 2023

A postponement and a rescue .

 Due to minor repairs in the wargaming room I've had to take down the 2D SYW  battle and will replay it after my holidays . 



In my workshop (a rather grand name for the shed) I have my casting equipment for my homecasting , I also have several boxes of old figures which I metal down for the castings . These have been gifted to me from various wargaming colleagues , whilst I was in there today getting something from the deep freeze for tea I was unaware that the dog had followed me in - he's not allowed in there because he gets up to mischief ! ! . I returned to the house and became aware he had something he shouldn't have in his mouth - so I bribed him with a treat to relinquish it and low and behold it was the above figure ! 


It must have dropped onto the floor from a casting session . It old , I would say it's a 15mm Minifigs ECW figure, one of the early types that were cast in strips, mounted on a piece of card - as one did before the advent of MDF . Whoever owned it had converted it into a standard bearer as you can see where the flag staff was glued to the hand and saddle - I trust the hound has not eaten the flag !?. Call me a bit sentimental but it reminded me of my early wargaming years and so I will save it and it will sit on my painting tray from now on.


The culprit, looking suitably demonic !






8 comments:

  1. If you're going to give him a lick of paint for old times sake, how about also giving him a new ensign with the motto: 'CAVE CANEM!' ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems providential, to say the least. Given the circumstances of the discovery and the lineage of the little guy (I, too, remember when 15mm figs came on strips), I would give the little fella a special spot in the permanent collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes having saved him from destruction (twice he would have been melted down) I think he should be preserved .

      Delete
  3. Oh Charlie, you should know better by now! Have a great holiday Tony and I hope that the Walkers might get to go to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 10 I fear he is past learning , I think the Walkers are packing their bags.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, my first 15's Minifigs ECW Scots and a few cavalry, A very gentle canine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had any of the strip Minifigs , think I was a Peter Laing fan.

      Delete