Monday 30 March 2020

The Duke of Marlborough


In response to Matt on his 'Waterloo to Mons' blog 
      http://waterlootomons.blogspot.com/2020/03/so-who-is-your-favourite-commander.html
I would like to nominate John Churchill Duke of Marlborough , a great tactician , diplomat and opportunist even when saddled will health problems and a difficult wife ,  . Brought Britain onto the world stage for the first time with his brilliant campaigns . His career ended in controversy and disgrace and his character was flawed but this makes him more human to me - Good Old Corporal John !

12 comments:

  1. Snap Tony! He was my pick too. This was a good idea of Matt's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah for the other Duke - good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid... that would have been my choice as well...
    I suppose I should look for an alternative...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  4. He appears to be the runaway choice at the moment.

    P.S. loved the "had a difficult wife" comment. Nearly choked on my coffee with that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought Wellington would be amongst the top choices ..

      Delete
  5. The fact he has an impressive wig helps as well. My choice would be Prince Eugene or Christian of Brunswick.

    ReplyDelete