Thursday 19 March 2020

SYW-ish 'A Gentleman's War' game .


I've decided to give SYW-ish  AGM a proper try out by setting up this big battle . Whilst the rest of the world is going down with flu I've got sciatica and last night I had trouble sleeping so I got up and set out this game , each side has 14 units and I just set up the units via dice throws and then adjusted them to look logical .


The Allies are under General 'Fatty' Cumberland , initially you deal out six cards - one side getting black the other red - he got five of them ! , It reflects his great tactical skills he thinks (I believe luck has more to do with it) . Foot regiments are made up of  3 units which can make a 'brigade' move when commanded by their mounted Colonels . The coins are stacked ready near the General to mark when a unit has been activated.


General Count Fru-Fru with his paltry one card , however he has the dubious assistance of Voltaire seen here pointing out the faults in the Allied deployment . Each side has 3 Regiments of foot (9 units) 2 cavalry and 2 guns . 


The British line , 18th Foote (Royal Irish) nearest the camera to it's left the 20th Foote . I usually time the game by the number of Jokers drawn , this one will end on the sixth Joker . Will report on the first moves soon ....




20 comments:

  1. Currently AGM is our set of rules of choice.

    We use units of 16 inf and 8 cav, and so take morale tests at 1/4 rather than 1/3 as we cannot agree what 1/3 of 8 is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my figure units are 15 figures , okay for a third but awkward for the half ! :-)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good way to spend the time. Hope you heal well, back pain is not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks interesting. I have been thinking of using AGW with my Prince August figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have done a few small games this is the first big one to see how they cope .

      Delete
  4. Good looking table. I'm looking forward to the AAR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed. A fetching set-up. Eager to see how the game develops.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks , have used the rules in a 'Victorian' setting but interestingly they play differently using this set up .

      Delete
  6. Lovely shiny toys Tony...
    I am looking forward to seeing this play out...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tony- Hope your ailment rights itself and you feel better in the future. Very nice 7YW Armies- well done! Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The back is an old ailment , me and it are old friends, my SYW are some of my favorite figures .

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great looking game and such a positive thing to come from you being up at night. I look forward to seeing the game progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When engrossed in toy soldiers you forget your problems .

      Delete
  10. That is a very spectacular table of toy soldiers, looking forward to the game!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely setup, the PA figs always look good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm a big fan , haven't got many of the new moulds though .

      Delete