Wednesday 25 January 2017

Success And Failure .




A few weeks ago I started using a wet palette and am pleased to say I have found it a great success ! . It works and keeps the paint usable for each painting session and of course you don't waste as much paint . Some of the colour pigments separate and need stirring with a cocktail stick from time to time but its no big deal .


However - I've had problems with the magnifying lamp , the daylight lamp is very good - just the thing for these dismal winter days but I've had problems using the magnifying lens - the problem is it magnifies things ! - those mould lines that you thought you had got rid of - but haven't ! , that tiny tremor of your hand (which you have never noticed before) magnified is spectacular ! , I found it started to give me motion sickness as the figure leaps about under the glass and you loose the whereabouts of your painting palette - and the brush handle keeps catching the lamp , also it shows up all of the detail on the model (which it is meant to do of course) - which you now have to paint because you can see them now . I think I don't paint to the same standard that I used to especially with the soft plastic figure I use now for several projects - wanting to get the figures onto the table and a high gloss varnish covers a multitude of sins . I'm still going to use the lamp but for the present will be doing without the magnification .


13 comments:

  1. I have watched with interest, my experience of the large lens being pretty much what you have just described. I also found it quite tiring as I was concentrating on keeping the figure in focus without being aware of it.

    To be honest, I get on very well with a simple and cheap pair of reading glasses from Boots. The drawback is that the stronger they are the closer you must hold the figure to your face. I find x2 magnification to be about right. Plus of course a good light.

    I am going to follow your advice on the wet palette though. Very useful thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother in law uses one for tieing fishing flys very successfully but think it is a totally different operation, the light works well though, Tony

      Delete
  2. I had a similar setup, with a magnifier in a lamp. Couldn't use it, either.

    I suggest an optivisor. They usually come with several magnifications, so you can experiment, and don't warp the experience...another version of reading glasses, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have seen these, think my problem was the lighting, Tony

      Delete
  3. I use reading glasses too and find them very easy to use. You can go up to 3x if you wish.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have glasses but for distance (and forget to wear them) the problem is very small figures - 40mm is the future!, Tony

      Delete
  4. I use reading glasses, having tried an optivisor and magnifier and ended up feeling queasy after 15 minutes painting with both. I think specs and/or bigger figures is the way forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I ! , I tell my wife I won't wear specs as it makes me look old ! , Tony

      Delete
  5. Yes, I'll echo everyone else. I was given a very nice magnifying lamp years ago when was only 20 or 21, and my eyes young, by my grandparents, specifically for help painting figures. I found it too distracting to use after several months of attempting to do so and ended up giving it to a friend. Odd.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to work for some hobbies fly tying etc for fishing - but not figure painting , Tony

      Delete
  6. I must admit after taking advice from Tony Runkee and the advantages of using a wet palette I have not looked back. I found grease proof paper is a perfect substitute for more expensive papers.Shame about the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm a convert to the wet palette , the daylight lamp bit works well It's just the lense that don't - oh well some you win etc, Tony

      Delete
  7. Yes, I have the lamp and magnifier combination and I've abandoned using it as well. It's too hard to hold the figure in focus, wield the brush without it hitting the lamp, and refreshing the brush with paint. I just hold the figures close and paint away.

    ReplyDelete