Friday 20 January 2017

Back To Painting !.


I've got back into the swing of things and have completed another unit for my Thirty Years War project . The figures are by Mars and of course in a softish plastic .


It is the Protestant Bohemian 'White' Regiment , there doesn't seem to have been any real uniforms early in the TYW - only the Swedes seemed to have made an attempt . There is also very little information on standards and none that can be linked to individual units . So this Regiment is VERY conjectural .


The figure are rather crude but have a charm all of their of their own I think . I didn't spend a lot of time painting individual figures only blocking in the colours and then giving them two coats of yacht  varnish - which I think is crucial to protect the paint from peeling off . Having got into the mood I'm going to paint some more TYW cavalry next .



15 comments:

  1. I think they are charming too,nice unit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Crude but have a charm all of their own" could describe more than a few of us! I bet we all have figures in our collections no longer state of the art but which are endearing. I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many modern figures are technical masterpieces - but lack charm and character , Tony

      Delete
  3. These are great figures... and look even better painted and shining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a coat of paint and glossy varnish greatly improve them, Tony

      Delete
  4. Crude or not, they work for me, Tony. As, you say, they have a personality that is lacking in so many others. You've brought them to life beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cheap as well 48 figures in a box for about £6.50 , Tony

      Delete
  5. They paint up quite quickly , nice simple figures , Tony

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking unit! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful unit, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, Mars. Not in the same class as Zvezda for virtuoso sculpting but I really like what you've done with these, Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mars and Stretlets are a long way behind Zveda I'm afraid , Tony

      Delete