Friday 3 February 2023

A miniature work of art.


I am slowly amassing the required forces to refight The Battle of the River Trimsos as in Donald Featherstones first book on wargaming using 2D flats . In fact the only thing I was really missing was one chariot for the Hyrkainian army , I had a look on the Berlin Zinnfiguren webshop and found the above model in their second hand section reasonably priced . It arrived today and upon examination I was struck how finely it was painted - usually painted flats are a "factory finish"  paint job and need a bit of work doing to them - this one is excellently painted - a work of art and far better than I could accomplish ! (click on the photo to enlarge) . It will need a gloss varnish and basing to ready it for the tabletop.


The only problem with ordering from Berlin Zinnfiguren is that there is a minimum order of 25 Euros so to top my order up I got the above set , it's titled "Vercingetorix" and I will use them for various character figures for Hyboria , painting them is going to be a challenge for the future. (click on the photo to enlarge)





 

16 comments:

  1. That’s a really nicely painted chariot you’ve picked up a very good piece. My SYW collection of flats grows slowly but I enjoy painting them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be in the right humour to paint them , they are a challenge

      Delete
  2. The chariot is a wee beauty, what a cracker, I really like to see flats but doubt I could do them justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice isn't it, painting flats properly is an art

      Delete
  3. That chariot is a beautiful piece indeed Tony! I have found some wonderful soldiers at BZ, you never know what they will have in their used section. It pays to check in on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A double bonus: the last unit needed to play the game and a splendid example of one at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm very pleased with it , a great finishing model.

      Delete
  5. It is beautiful but not so great viewed from the ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chariot is fantastic, the painting really makes it look 3D, amazing!
    I often wonder why painters spend so very much effort painting complicated highlights and shadows on solid figures which are 3D already, and thus have highlights and shadows anyway ( my DBA army will of course be the Philistines ), but I can really appreciate it here. Lovely figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have paited quite a lot of flats - BUT not to the standard of the chariot.

      Delete
  7. The new flats look like they'll be an enjoyable subject to paint.

    The chariot ..WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be in the zone to paint them and fear I will never match that chariot in quality.

      Delete
  8. Despite having enough age the whole Hyboria thing passed me by - please include some background when you get round to the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a country based on the 'Conan the Barbarian' stories evolved in the early days of wargaming by Tony Bath https://conan.com/howards-hyborian-age/

      Delete